Sunday, February 7, 2010

Show #2: Thomas & Mack Center Night 2 (Vegas)

Spinning 2004 Show #2 (Vegas) already.
The opening -7 is way better than anything I heard from night 1.
-7 > Rock and Roll, Boogie On – not a bad start to night #2. (This Boogie on doesn’t compare to Miami ‘09 though).

This Boogie On from Vegas ‘04 is not bad; it’s just not real good. Mike didn’t have that extra envelope filter or whatever it is in his current rig that sends laser blasts throughout the trash compactor, I mean, arena.

Keeping the boogie going with Back on the Train.
So far, I’d have to say that Night Two of Vegas ‘04 (Show #2 of 17 in ‘04) is pretty decent. A big improvement over night one.
> Possum – keeping the energy level high. With this high level of energy, I’m a lot less likely to notice the flubs unless they are super sloppy.

Although – this Possum does has a slight “rough edge” to it. Not as rockin’ as the Possum from Asheville ‘09 was.

Typical Strange Design, but then a good Gumbo.
So far, I’d call this a good show, as a stand alone.
Taste closed out Set I in style. Set I was honestly about as good as I expect a first set to be.
Set II – so far I’ve been in set II for a while now and they are still on Twist. Gotta Jibboo and Twist have both been Grade A USDA Choice Phish, IMO.
More to come, but so far, I think this show holds up very well. Waaaay better than night #1
^ seriously, this Twist from Vegas ‘04 is about as good a Twist as I’ve ever heard. No joke.

set II
Camel Walk – for the first time I can clearly hear how gone Trey’s voice is. SHOT! Ordinary CW hindered by Treys vox issues. Transition to Wilson could be heard at end of CW but they don’t pull it off, instead finishing the song and then beginning Wilson fresh. The Wilson is sick in a good way, affirming my opinion that this show is actually first rate (if you can give Trey’s vox a medical pass) > Little Drummer Boy? Really? I guess this is when Fishman dons the dress that makes sound – or maybe just a hint of what is to come (turns out the finish Wilson). HYHU – fishman musical suit.
Gonna forego reviewing Fishman’s antics because they never define a show as good or bad, just merely Phishy. Will pick up after he’s done. I will say that these stage antics killed what was othewisw a stellar performance (Jibboo, monster Twist). I know it’s trademark Phish, but it brings the party to a halt.

now that Fishma is done we can get back to serious b’ness. How to relaunch? Ahh. Waves. Yes. Way to ease into it real smooth-like.

Trey’s voice can support Waves. The song doesn’t have a lot of lyrics anyway. Good choice! (hope they play Waves more in 2010).

Waves ends prematurely for Lifeboy. Would have like a longer jam, but that will come later in the summer I guess. Don’t think Lifeboy should appear this late in a second set; not after the fishman interlude.

I can see Trey’s voice being shot after a tour, but these Vegas shows are happening after a three month break. Not sure what gives.

Lifeboy is well-played though. Love the interplay between the keys and guitar. Really is a beautiful song, music-wise.
The Horse > Silent. Man they’ve really decided to put the kibosh on this set. It started do strong, with 40 minutes of dance grooves only to be upended by this disjointed collection.
I do like Page’s vocals in Silent though.
The irony “you’ve found your voice, it brings me to” when Trey had lost his.

Loving Cup! This will close the set surely, likely in even better style than Taste did the first. Page helping fill out the vox. This rockin’ anthem never fails. Wonder what the encore will bring.
Still liking this show. I think it holds it’s own. Where night one failed, night two has delivered (even with the shotty vox).
Hood encore. Good choice – not heavy on the vocals and delivers a knockout punch usually.
Interesting, dark, intro before the opening lyrics. Crowd erupts once the song kicks in – I guess Fenton Willians finally delivered something to see.
They nail the odd-time part with the time change.
I think I’m done with the review. Anyone looking for a 2004 show that delivers, night 2 of Vegas will fill that slot nicely. If I were walking out of the arena I would be saying, in the words of Robear, “another win for the home team!”. Looking forward to the third night.
This Hood is way different than what I’m used to hearing. I just had a “what song is this again?” moment. Always a good sign that there’s sone nice type II going on.

20 minute HHood encore. Who can argue with that? Not I.

No comments:

Post a Comment